Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Rainy Days and Messages

 

 

Pitter patter morning rain

Invites me to lie abed

Extends night time

Into the day with a

Lullaby to fill my head

With thoughts of cozy

Things like toast

And the fragrant brew

I crave the most.

 

               It can be tough to get out of bed on a rainy morning.  The sound of raindrops hitting the roof and knowing that it’s darker than usual outside make us snuggle deeper into the nest of our  pillows and blankets in an effort to extend the sanctuary of safety and comfort we have in our beds.  Sometimes we’re lucky enough to be able to give in to the desire to stay nestled and hidden from the world for a little while longer, and what a delightful thing that is!  It’s almost like the universe is telling us to take a little time to rest and recharge; we should listen to that message.  Sometimes we repeatedly ignore the messages from the universe, so it throws a brick at us.  I sometimes joke that the shutdown was a way for the universe to make me listen once, and for all.

               For the past couple of years, getting things together in the morning and getting to work on time have been a challenge.  Between weather issues, day program for my daughter transportation issues, fatigue, road closures, aches and pains, and various other things it seemed like the universe was trying to tell me to forget about working.  Yet I persisted, handled each challenge, got to work (not always on time, but my employer is quite understanding), and managed to keep everything running.  I just figured that some years are like that—constant challenges and roadblocks that we must overcome in order to survive.  Well, now I have no choice but to be home.  I am liking it!  Although I miss the crew I worked with, and the job itself, I don’t miss the aches and pains that became my normal way of feeling, and the exhaustion that came along with it.  I realize now just how wearying juggling all those things was for me.  This shutdown has helped me see that something had to give.  The job was the obvious choice for making a difference in my life.  It was the only thing I was able to give up without major, catastrophic personal fallout.  Of course I also miss the income, but adjustments can be made.  It’s not always easy, but it’s worth it now that I see how much easier my life is, how much less complicated.

               Rainy days are the perfect time for me to reflect on things that have changed for me recently, and gain some perspective.  I’m finally paying attention to the things that life was trying to tell me.  Slow down, care for the ones you love, take care of yourself are all messages we shouldn’t ignore.  It took a pandemic for me to realize the most important things in life: family, friends, and health.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Talk about a silver lining in that pandemic cloud! I'm so glad it has turned out to be so good for you.
Ralph