Total Pageviews

Friday, July 10, 2020

Marking Time



               I joined the marching band when I started high school, many, many years ago. I already knew the basics of marching, as both my older brothers were in the group ahead of me and schooled me in the basics.  I don’t recall having a choice in the matter, but probably I agreed readily to learn as younger siblings are apt to do when trying to keep up with their older counterparts.  One of the parts we learned was marking time.  There are many times in the course of a parade or half time performance that the band members must march in place—marking time.  I didn’t think much about it once I graduated and moved on into adulthood, until recently.  During this pandemic I feel as if all I do is mark time, figuratively, and then began to do it physically most days as a way to remain active.
               Stay at home orders and businesses and schools shutting down puts a community into a weird suspended state.  Your “normal” life is put on hold and there you are trying to fill the hours of your days with activities to keep your mind sharp, your body moving, and, if you have family there with you, to keep everyone from getting on each other’s nerves too much. Early in the shutdown the weather wasn’t conducive to being outside much as it was a cold and windy spring.  I took my daughter out for rides nearly every day, just to get out of the house. Once home, it was easiest to fill the time before my husband came home with TV and reading books.  Not much physical activity was happening outside of household chores and occasional bouts of decluttering.  Once nicer weather arrived, I took to walking my daughter, in her wheelchair, up and down the driveway in order to get some activity, followed by relaxing on the patio or deck and reading, in between blowing bubbles and texting with friends and family.  I don’t go to parks out of an abundance of caution because I’m not confident that the virus can’t be transmitted by simply walking past someone, even outside.  Once summer weather got into full swing, it was too hot to walk much so, in order to get that exercise in I began marking time for 10 -20 minutes a day.  I usually do it while my daughter is watching TV, and she looks at me as if I have lost my mind.  Maybe I have, but, I am at least not gaining any weight; although I was hoping to lose some this way.  Perhaps a few less salty snacks and less ice cream would help with that, but I love my little treats too much to give them up entirely!  This marking time takes an emotional toll, and any way I can feel a bit better is worth it to me.
               I’ll continue marking time for the foreseeable future, as will many others.  When all this is finally over, I wonder how much “normal” life will be left? 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Marking time" is the perfect way to describe life now. And what a great yet slightly haunting question at the end of your post!
Ralph