Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Thoughts on Dreary Weather, Mondays and Fridays



This weather is quite dreary,    
It’s dark, and dank, and damp,
It’s making me feel weary,
And nothing like a champ,
Sun, oh sun, where are you?
You hide yourself away,
Please come back, light up the sky,
And brighten up our days!

               We’ve had a string of cloudy, rainy, dark and chilly days this month, and it’s been extra tough to get going in the morning.  We drag ourselves out of bed, and move zombie like through the day swilling our favorite caffeinated beverage in an effort to feel alive.  My brain feels foggy during those strings of dank days and no amount of caffeine really clears it.  I try turning on all the lights in my house to trick my brain into thinking the sun is out, but it doesn’t really help.  I still just want to curl up on the couch under a blanket and snooze.  When we finally have a sunny morning it is amazing how much energy I have!  Even if it’s very cold outside, as long as the sun is shining I can get motivated to get things done.  I guess I’m solar powered.

Tomorrow is Monday for real,
I’m not really sure how to feel,
Back to routine is nice,
I’m not seeking advice,
Friday seems a much better deal.

Friday, O Friday!
At last you have dawned,
You signal an end
To a week Sunday spawned,
It felt never ending,
Each day looney and long,
But at last you are here,
Let us hail you with song!

               I think we can pretty much agree that Mondays are hard.  I know I live for the weekends lately because weekdays start early, and I must function before I’m ready to be fully awake.  On weekends I can laze on the couch with coffee and a bagel for a while before getting on with the obligations of my day.  Weekend coffee just tastes better somehow, and having some time to linger over it and daydream or read for a bit feels like Heaven.  I do find that I long for the routine of the workweek when I have too many days off in a row, but it’s those early, busy mornings that get me.  Fridays it’s easier to get going because I know that in a few hours I’ll be done with work for a couple days and can turn my attention to more pleasant pursuits. I look forward to Fridays a lot.  Too bad it’s only Wednesday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

More great observations!! Love this post! We had only four sunny days in January and only two sunny days so far this month - I am solar powered, just like you, so it's a challenge, that's for sure!
Ralph