Total Pageviews

Tuesday, December 24, 2019

Misfits

Do you ever feel like you’re living on the Island of Misfit Toys from the Rudolph the Red Nosed  Reindeer Christmas movie?  I feel that way sometimes. It’s a feeling of being out of step with the rest of the world. When those around are calm and steady, and I’m in a tizzy, rushing and panicking, my mind whirling with worries and a to do list impossibly long, I’m not feeling like I’m in the right place. But what if on the outside I look calm like everyone else does? What if each of those other calm appearing people feel on the inside as panicked and worried as I do?

I think we all feel a little bit like those misfit toys on the island. We feel like we don’t have anything that is wanted, like our unique talents are unappreciated and somehow unacceptable to the world at large. From the boat that doesn’t float, to the doll that says “How do you do?” instead of “Mama”, to the Charley in a box, all are unique, and wonderful, but they don’t see it. Worse than that, is that they don’t think anyone sees it. Then Rudolph arrives, feeling like such a misfit that he doesn’t even stay on the island, fearing his difference will bring danger to his friends. He vows to tell Santa about the island and find homes for the toys on Christmas Eve. In the end, Rudolph learns to use his uniqueness, and others see it as a gift. He keeps his promise and leads Santa to the island and around the world to drop off all the toys to children who will love them. It’s a happy ending for the Misfits.  So how can I find a happy ending? There is no Rudolph and Santa coming to save me, but what if I start to believe my unique qualities make me fit in? What if I realize that everyone, no matter how accomplished they are perceived to be, feels a little bit like a misfit?  Then I feel like I fit in, and so will you.

Greetings from the Island of Misfits! We welcome you and your beautiful, wonderful uniqueness that makes you who you are. We’re glad you are here. Remember that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are a beautiful, wonderful, fabulous, unique, talented person!! If that is hard to remember sometimes, let me know and I will be happy to remind you. :-D
Ralph