Total Pageviews

Sunday, December 10, 2023

Oh Spirit




 Where is my Christmas spirit? I wish I knew! Buried, perhaps, somewhere under all of the other feelings I have from dealing with the upsetting and life altering events of this crazy year? Well, probably. Surely it is in there, waiting to be awakened. I’m hoping it is trying to push its way to the surface, to put the light of anticipation in my eyes and heart that are usually in evidence by now. Anticipation of the beautiful decorations I will place in my house. Anticipation of the treats and gifts I will share with the ones that I love and the fun we will have together. Anticipation of the beautiful cards I will receive and send, and of the church celebration of Christ’s birth. The lovely music, and telling of stories both old and new. I know that spirit lives in me, surely I would not have hung outside Christmas lights and hung greenery on my front door, and gone shopping for some Christmas gifts if the spirit were not there. I would not have put on a Christmas tee shirt and tacky Christmas tree earrings to attend a Christmas party if it were not awakening. No, if the spirit buried in me had died I would have done none of those things. It is there, it just needs some encouragement to rise and become stronger, putting the light of anticipation of joy in my eyes and in my heart.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...


Too bad about that, but I am into the Christmas spirit like never before.
All of it--the sights, sounds, smells, traditions.
I think it's because I got rid of many toxic people in my life, most of which are church/synagogue going people. They go to worship on weekends and then act very un-Christlike as they go about their everyday lives. They make fun of people on social media, judge people based on gossip and lies and make snide remarks to them. It pays to get toxic, worthless people out of one's life.