Total Pageviews

Sunday, October 11, 2020

Here We Are

Hello, October, number ten
I’m glad to see you here again 
Cooler temps and brisker breezes
Hint that soon we’re in for freezes
I welcome them, your colors too
Also the time for soup and stew
Cozy blankets, sweaters, tea
These are things that comfort me
Changing seasons can be good
October brings a reflective mood.

Well here we are at October and this long year is finally heading toward its end.  This is my time of year, it feels good to be winding down from busy, hot, summer days. So far, however I have been unable to enjoy the golden sunshine, longer shadows and refreshing temperatures as I am camping out at the hospital with my daughter. She was quite ill, and as she is not able to communicate, here is where either I or my husband will be until she is well enough to leave. It’s been over 3 weeks since we drove her to the ER late in the evening on a Friday, and what an odyssey it has been!
I’ve had a lot of time to reflect on many things while we’ve been here. I’ve realized that one of the most important qualities in a healthcare provider is an open mind. Thankfully one of the doctors who is treating our precious girl is willing to truly listen to my thoughts on what’s going on medically with her, and act as a team in treating her using a combination of his education and expertise, and my knowledge and instincts as her mother and caregiver for 28 years. A doctor like this is a treasure. We have had a number of such doctors involved in her care over the years and it helps more than I can express. When doctors don’t truly listen and take into account my thoughts on proposed treatment and her medical history as well as anecdotal information that may not align with their experience, it is a frustrating thing. It can delay treatment and recovery unnecessarily because sometimes people’s illnesses don’t follow the case histories the professionals have studied. Medical science is constantly evolving and the open minded doctor is the one who will put patients and families at ease and build trust. When you feel respected you are more likely to accept difficult information and work with rather than against the medical professionals. Attitude is important as well. If someone comes in with a negative, resentful or superior attitude it sets up a kind of adversarial atmosphere that does not lead to teamwork. As we try to figure out this puzzle of my daughter’s health and work toward her release from hospital and return to home, I count on those open minded professionals and nurses with a caring, can-do attitude to keep things heading in the right direction. Prayer doesn’t hurt, either.
I don’t know when we will finally be able to leave here, but I pray it will be while there is still plenty of beautiful October weather to enjoy. It is my favorite time of year. But for now, here is where we are.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness for that doctor! So glad to hear he is LISTENING to you! Prayers for Hillary, that doctor, and you, Bruce, and Anna.
Ralph