Total Pageviews

Monday, June 1, 2020

Comfort


Hello June!
               
Farewell, May!
You were weird,
We are halfway
Through this year,
We’ve been challenged,
Things are rough,
To get through it all,
We must be tough.

     As I folded some laundry today I thought about how my mother used to come to my house and fold the laundry when my girls were babies. It was such a big help to me, and I still am thankful when either my daughter or husband fold whatever's in the basket waiting to be dealt with. It's always the little things that bring to mind a loved one who is no longer here.
     Little, mundane, seemingly unimportant things are what jogs my memory of my parents. They are present always in my everyday life. Using a certain paring knife in the kitchen, the sound of a lawnmower, or the smell of coffee brewing are common occurrences that start me thinking of my parents. I think I remember those things more than any big events like birthdays or graduations. It was the stability of those common objects, sounds, and smells that made for a happy, safe childhood. My parents were there, every day, no matter what else was happening in life. It's what makes home such a haven for most people. If you're having a bad day, you know that when at last you step across the threshold there will be a place for you that are familiar, welcoming, and comfortable. You will be calmed by the familiar sound of the refrigerator's hum mixed with the radio playing, perhaps the lingering smell of the morning's coffee intertwined with the scent of soap and a favorite candle, or the sight of the sun slanting through the window highlighting your favorite seat and cozy throw. The things we don't really think much about are the background of our lives; subconsciously keeping us centered and able to cope with things life throws our way in an average day. It's one of the greatest gifts we get from our past, if we have had any sort of stability in our childhood and youth. It helps us meet challenges head on and have some resilience and toughness when things start to wear us down.
      Of course, in our current tumultuous world, any bit of comfort and stability are even more important. To be able to look forward to the familiar at the end of a long day is one of the greatest sources of comfort I know. Comfort and stability will continue to be important in the months, and years to come.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this post! it makes me feel very happy.
Ralph