Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Go Away Winter

The morning’s dark,
Outside it’s cold,
This winter thing
Is getting old,
Give me sun,
And blooming flowers,
Not falling flakes,
That last for hours.

I mean it, I’m tired of Winter! This year it seems like it’s been extra cold and dark, and we’ve had 3 big snow storms in the last 2 weeks. Snow is pretty—on Christmas Eve & Christmas morning. After that, it’s just a hassle. It must be cleared from the deck, driveway and cars. Driving is dangerous and school and daycare centers either close or delay opening. It might melt during the day and refreeze at night making the roads and walkways treacherous to drive and walk on; pushing my daughter's wheelchair in snow and ice is not easy either!  I'm tired of spreading ice melter all over the deck and driveway, and the mess snowy boots and shoes make of the floors in the house.  I'm weary of bundling up in a bulky coat, scarf, and gloves.  Winter time laundry is more time consuming; the clothes are bigger and take up more room in the washer so there are extra loads, and those larger, heavier clothes take more time to dry, and the hampers fill up so quickly!  Soups and stews are nice, but a tossed salad of fresh from the garden (or local produce stand) vegetables, and chicken or a burger cooked on the grill are so much easier.  Cleanup is 1, 2, 3, and boom! You're done with summer cooking. I'm longing for a sunny, warm weekend afternoon spent sipping iced tea and reading on the deck while a light breeze gets the wind chimes tinkling in the background. Doesn't that sound like heaven?

Well, it's too bad that I'm tired of the cold and snow because if the weather forecasters are to be believed, we're in for at the very least more flurries and cold temperatures for the next 10 days, with the possibility of a 4th winter storm next week on the first day of Spring.  Holy cow! I've had enough!  I can't take one more obligatory snow picture for Instagram, write one more poem about the snow, and listen one more time to "Operation Snowflake" on the local radio station to hear the school and business closings without going mad!  Of course, I have no choice in what the weather does, so I'll just have to grin and bear it for a few more weeks.  Hopefully once the calendar says "Spring" the weather will catch up and we'll have some nice warm days filled with sunshine and some gentle showers to coax the leaves and flowers out of their Winter sleep and brighten up the landscape.  I can't wait for that!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Agreed 100%!
Ralph