Total Pageviews

Sunday, May 28, 2017

May Days

A mother's job is tough, it's true,
She has many things she must do,
She does it all with such aplomb,
With generally an air of calm,
There must be times she feels defeated,
But carries on, knowing she's needed,
That can do spirit keeps her going,
Her love is endless, and overflowing,
That's why we have this day in May,
To make her feel special; that's Mother's Day.

Miss Hillary brought home a flower for my Mother's Day gift that she made at program.

Anna took me to a Paint & Sip event for Mother's Day. I think I did a good job painting the picture!  We had so much fun together that evening!

May is a month filled with special days, as if just being the month when we can let our feet free for a day or two here and there when we have an early "summer" day, and blooming flowers appear in the landscape and at garden centers isn't enough. We have Mother's Day and Memorial Day, and I have my grandparents' anniversary in the beginning of the month, (although they have both passed away decades ago I still remember their wedding date), my father-in-law's birthday, (he is also passed away), my mother's and Aunt Ethel's birthdays, (my mother is passed away but as far as I know Aunt Ethel is still with us), and my father's "angelversary" (he is also passed).  So this is a month that lends itself to staring at the sky at sunset remembering  those special people who are no longer with me in Earthly form, as well as thinking about those who are very much part of my life every day.

We tend to celebrate Mother's Day quietly, without lots of fanfare. This year Bruce and Hillary and I went to pick out some hanging flower baskets and azaleas for the front of the house.  The latter are to replace a couple of boxwoods that didn't survive the ice melter I used on the deck (well, in my defense, it's not easy pushing the wheelchair up or down the ramp when it's icy or snowy, and safety before bushes is my motto!).  Then at dinner time we ordered dinner from our favorite Italian restaurant as it is a bit difficult in crowded restaurants with Hillary's wheelchair and I don't enjoy crowded places any way. It was a nice day, and the following Friday Anna and I went to a "Paint & Sip" fundraiser for the fire department a couple of towns over.  If you've never heard of this or been to one, you buy a ticket in advance, take your beverage of choice and maybe a few snacks--although they do generally supply water to drink, coffee, and some lights snacks--and sit at a table with others you may or may not know. Everyone is provided an easel, canvas, paint brushes, and paint, and an instructor explains and demonstrates everything step by step.  It's a fun way to spend an evening, comparing pictures and laughing, making small talk and you end up with original art work to take home with you.  Even if you have no artistic skill at all you will succeed. If you see a notice for one, you should go!

These two pics are the flowers in hanging baskets we bought Mother's Day.

Memorial Day is a whole weekend event, it seems, around the country.  Towns have parades and special events to mark the day, but what is most popular about the day is the "unofficial start of summer".  Grilling is the big thing, and if you believe the local tv news, nobody stays home this weekend! The flaw there is that if nobody is staying home who is marching in and attending the parades and solemn remembrance ceremonies?  We're not going anywhere and it seems like most of my neighbors aren't either, judging by the sounds of  lawn mowers, weed whackers, and blowers I hear as well as the meat I smelled cooking last night on outdoor grills.  Bruce is marching in two parades in area towns this weekend with his bagpipes & drums band.  Hopefully the weather holds out and they won't get wet.  As for us, we'll just be here like the rest of the neighborhood doing yard work and grilling our dinner, enjoying the freedom to do as we like, thanks to the sacrifices of servicemen and women who fought for our country and lost their lives that we may enjoy ours.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post! It sounds like your May was a very nice month!
Ralph