Total Pageviews

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Something Amusing (I hope!)

Here is another offering from my writing group exercises, I thought it was cute and it was well recieved by my fellow writers.  I chose "Henry the 8th" because it was the first song I thought of and seemed to lend itself to the prompt.  I hope you find it amusing!

Prompt: Start a scene with song lyrics and see where the words take you.

                                        Non-talkers Anonymous
          “I’m Henry the 8th I am, Henry the 8th I am I am.  I got married to the widow next door, she’s been married 7 times before; and every one was a Henry, she wouldn’t have a Willie or a Sam. I’m her 8th old man called Henry, Henry the 8th I am.”  The words echoed off the putty colored walls in the church basement meeting room as Henry took his seat.  The leader thanked Henry and the group welcomed him, taking in his tall thin frame, mousy brown shoulder length hair and goatee. “Now, who has something to share?” Steve, the moderator, prompted. A few moments passed before the thin dark haired woman to his left raised her hand.   Standing, Maria began, “The hills are alive with the sound of music, with songs they have sung for a thousand years…..”  Seeing another hand raised, Maria stopped and the short balding Mr. Peebles spoke up.  “We’ve got a gorilla for sale…”  “Ok,” Steve stopped Mr. Peebles when, without warning, Bruce interrupted with a raspy “Born in the USA, I was born in the USA!”  Everyone looked at each other for a few moments and Steve said, “I’m glad you’re all feeling more comfortable this week.  Does anyone else have anything to tell us?”  The round plastic clock on the wall behind Steve ticked a few beats and a light flickered overhead when Lee lifted his tall frame from his chair and tipped his ten gallon hat proclaiming, “I’m proud to be an American where at least I know I’m free, and I won’t forget the men who died and gave that right to me…”  Suddenly catching the spirit of the conversation, the big boned, gray haired Ethel piped up with, “God bless America, land that I love,” in her rich contralto voice.  There was a momentary silence before Jon, in skin tight jeans and red flannel shirt piped in with “I’m a cowboy, on a steel horse I ride, I’m a cowboy and I’m wanted dead or alive,” prompting Taylor, the pretty blonde sitting next to him who was glaring at him to say, “We are never ever ever getting back together.”  At this point Steve stood and said, “Ok, I think that’s enough for this week.  You’re all making wonderful progress with speaking in a group, keep up the good work, and next time let’s try using our own words instead of song lyrics to communicate.” 

No comments: