Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Easter Memories

Today I feel nostalgic for Easters of the past.  When I was growing up we spent the whole morning in the company of church family.  First we'd be at the sunrise service in the town cemetery, then home to shower and change into our Easter finery and back to the church building for a congregational Easter breakfast.  Immediately following that we had Sunday school and then church service right after, with coffee hour following.  After that, there was an hour ride to our grandparents' house for Easter dinner.  A full day to be sure with just snatches of candy in between.

I remember one year my mother made me a pink Easter dress with a white Peter Pan collar and cuffs with a floppy hat to match.  My mother always made my dresses when I was a kid.

My favorite thing about Easter was the hymns.  "Allelu" and "Christ the Lord is Risen Today" are two of my favorites, I love the "Ha-a-a-a-a-le-e-lu-u-ya", I hum it now as I think about it!

When my girls were small there were always pretty, flowery, frilly dresses, straw hats, lace gloves and of course white "clackety clack" shoes.  Of course there were pictures taken, some of my favorite pictures of my girls together are from Easters when they were small.  It was such fun to make their baskets and see the reactions.  One time Anna wrote a letter to the Easter Bunny telling him to write her back and leave the answer under her pillow.  She was so excited to show us the letter her left her Easter morning!

There was one Easter that we spent in the pediatrician's office with Anna having pink eye, then I spent the rest of the day in the hospital with Hillary who was admitted the day before for seizure control, when it rains it pours, it seems!

I remember how the heady smell of lillies always permeated the air both at church and at home, as we always bought Mom flowers for Easter.  Any time I smell lillies that is what I think of.

So those are some of my Easter memories.  I hope you have many pleasant memories from Easter!

No comments: