Total Pageviews

Sunday, May 20, 2018

One Comment


One comment can change your day.  For the past few weeks I have been having a tough time of it at work, after having a falling out with a co-worker whom I also thought of as a friend.  I’m not sure the relationship is salvageable beyond the civility working together demands.  It’s a shame, frustrating, and makes me very sad.  I have been on the brink of either asking to be transferred to another location or just quitting altogether and finding another job because it is so uncomfortable to be around this person.  Last night, when picking up my daughter from a dance at the school with the Best Buddies club, I was speaking to one of the aides who regularly brings students to my lunch line.  Something she said to me made me realize that leaving is not the answer.  It made me realize that my job is more than just getting along with my coworkers; it is making lunch time go as smoothly as possible for students and staff.  She told me that no matter what else is going on, I always have a smile for them.  She said they appreciate that so much.  It made me think.  I responded by telling her thank you, and explaining that I really enjoy interacting with the students and staff; and that is the truth.  It’s the best part of what I do.  Even at the high school level, some of the students want to have a short conversation about how their day is going, their plans for the weekend, or how much they like certain food items.  The conversations are very short, only a few seconds, because the line must be kept moving along to give everyone time to eat, but in those few seconds a sense of community can be felt.  Even staff members sometimes have those short conversations with me.  It makes for a pleasant atmosphere.  That’s not to say that sometimes we don’t have trouble in the area, someone trying to get away without paying, or hiding an extra they want but don’t have the money for.  Usually a look from one of the managers or teachers around will nip that in the bud.  Mostly the students are good, honest people.  That positive comment last night made me realize that whatever discomfort I feel with this one co-worker is not a reason to leave a job I love and people who are appreciative of how I treat them.  It changed my mindset, and changed my day for the better.

If there is someone you interact with who leaves you with a positive impression, tell them so.  You just might make their day and give them a badly needed lift.  You never know who is going through a tough time and needs to hear a kind word.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very good post!
Ralph